10 Reasons Digital Signage is on the Rise
Digital Signage is becoming a reputable marketing resource as technology advances continue to improve capabilities. Despite businesses in the past being hesitant to incorporate signage into their marketing strategy, forward-thinking corporates are now seizing the opportunity to attract attention, leverage up-sells and influence purchase decisions. We take a look at statistics from the digital world to gain an understanding of what is driving implementation.
1. Over a quarter of organizations deem “multichannel campaign management” to be one of their top priorities.
Digital signage forms part of the multichannel marketing strategy, acting as a canvas for unlimited marketing content, campaigns and promotions. It bridges the gap between virtual and physical by offering a complete online product catalogue in store, providing a seamless experience across multiple channels.
2. Sixty-three percent of people report that digital signage catches their attention.
This percentage is significantly higher than TV, Internet and billboard advertising. Retailers are choosing digital signage due to its low cost and flexibility but high impact is the key advantage.
3. Eighty-four percent of U.K. retailers believe digital signage creates significant brand awareness.
Digital signage is essentially the “face” of a store, it familiarizes the target audience with the brand and ultimately makes the company more recognizable. With dynamic signs reinforcing brand messages through an immersive experience, retailers are eager to use signage to fully optimize communication with their customers.
4. Digital video in general reaches 70 percent of the public.
It is evident that digital signage provides relevant content and drives customer engagement, but the magnitude of its reach is what rivals other channels. Compared with Facebook and online video platforms, which reach less than 45 percent, retailers are using video signage to expose a larger audience to their marketing messages.
5. If given a choice, 42 percent of retail video viewers would prefer to shop at stores that have video displays.
With 4K ultra HD drastically improving the visuals on a video wall, retailers are increasingly turning to displays as a low cost way of informing and entertaining customers. The realistic simulation and impact of video walls adds to their effectiveness by engaging users with their environments. Successful applications in various industries are giving retailers insight into how and where this format should be used.
6. Digital signage reduces perceived waiting times at checkout by as much as 35 percent.
Digital signage solves the problem of unpredictable waiting times and long queues in store. Simply by connecting with internal queue-management systems, it offers a more efficient and professional treatment to the customer, optimizing the waiting experience.
7. Nearly 30 percent of customers find digital menus influential for purchase of product.
Vibrant and eye-catching digital menu displays have come a long way from traditional, unresponsive, static food boards. Restaurants, mainly in the fast food industry, can now automatically show the right offer, at the right price, at the right time, at the right place.
8. Half of the top 100 retailers in the U.S. are testing beacons this year.
Beacon technology is driving digital signage with its capability to push personalized messages to customers’ smartphones. This fine-grained location service technology is used in conjunction with current smartphone apps, pushing promotions, offers or essential marketing messages straight into the hands of new or returning customers.
9. More than 60 percent of buying decisions are made at the point of sale.
Digital signage gives customers the chance to compare products. Stores can embrace rather than fear the growing retail trend of “showrooming,” increasing their chance of keeping buyers in-location to make their purchase with content that creates experience and emotion.
10. Digital signage adds an upswing in overall sales volume by 31.8 percent.
Being forced to stand in long queues, search for products, verify prices and check merchandise availability frustrates customers. There is therefore a huge sales potential for companies to capture lost opportunities by making the shopping experience more efficient and satisfying. Digital signage creates an immersive in-store experience, maximizing cross-sells, upsells and impulse buys by quickly adapting and deploying content in real time.
1. The Importance of Multichannel Retail Report by Econsultancy
2. RichMediaTechnologies: Outdoor Effectiveness
3. Samsung UK Retail Digital Signage Survey
4. Arbiton Digital Place-Based Video Study 2010
5. VAGlobal: 4 emerging trends digital signage
6. Lavi Field Study
7. Eclipse Media: Top benefits and ROI of digital menu boards 2014
8. Business Insider: The Beacons Report
9. Advisium: Shopper Marketing Excellence